It’s that time of year again! Fall is a perfect time of the year to start getting your home ready for those winter months ahead. Cold weather can have a big effect on your home’s plumbing and heating system. If not properly prepared, you could face frozen pipes, burst pipes and “no heat” service calls that end up being costly. Luckily, these disasters are easy to prevent. The professionals at Hunter Plumbing & Heating have compiled a fall maintenance checklist to help get your home winter-ready:
- Turn off and drain sprinkler systems. You may want to call in the professionals at Hunter Plumbing & Heating to blow out any leftover water in the underground lines. A broken sprinkler pipe can do damage to the delicate components that make up the entire system, increasing the cost of repair.
- Check, clean and inspect your humidifier, furnace, water heater, HRV, and fireplaces to ensure each unit is working properly. The professionals at Hunter Plumbing & Heating provides yearly heating system inspection and maintenance service visits. Contact us today to customize a plan to suit your needs!
- Change your furnace air filter. This goes hand in hand with your furnace cleaning, but just in case you forget, we recommend changing your furnace filter every 1-3 months to keep the air in your home clean and prevent problems with your furnace.
- Consider upgrading to a programmable thermostat. If you are planning on travelling someplace warm during the winter, a programmable thermostat can help keep your home at the correct temperature during the day and night to save on energy costs and keep your home comfortable.
- Change batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms. You never know when you might need them, so make sure they are all in good working order!
- Clear gutters and inspect your sump pump & drain lines to ensure there are no blockages and the pump is functioning properly.
- Fix any waterline leaks you are aware of. You can usually spot these from water marks on your basement ceiling. It is also a good idea to inspect your water pump, water softener, iron filter, water heater and pressure tank to ensure nothing is leaking around these units either. Hunter Plumbing & Heating also provide yearly water system service inspections. Contact us today to customize a plan to suit your needs!
- Inspect your well and well lid for cracks and damage. It is not uncommon in the dead of winter to deal with frozen well service calls due to improper well maintenance. You don’t want to be stuck without water until your system thaws out, trust me!
- Insure waterlines are properly insulated to prevent freezing and bursting. Close crawl space vents and stuff insulation over the openings, ensure pipes that run along outside walls are well insulated and stay warm. Even a tiny hole can let a lot of cold air blow in; make sure you fill in all the cracks.
- Shut off and drain outside taps and store garden hoses. If you are not sure where the shut off is for your exterior taps, contact the experts at Hunter Plumbing for help!
Start your fall maintenance checklist today before you forget! Sometimes winter can strike early and you’ll be unexpectedly caught in the cold. The last thing you want is for a burst pipe or falling gutters to ruin an otherwise cozy winter day. Don’t have time to complete your checklist? Call in the professionals at Hunter Plumbing & Heating for help! We provide complete plumbing and heating services to get your home ready for winter.